Sunday, December 31, 2006

Out with the old, In with the new!

I think this year has been a lot like a hill. It was hard to begin with but once I got over the hump it was over really fast and effortlessly.

There is so much that has happened this year for me in the blogosphere and in the real world. Ranging from being on the bilas train to dating and back again, thinking school would never end and now being free. I am in the process of writing a series of posts to sum up the high points and low points.

Blog pals have been met, made and lost. Of course one of the major points in blog relations was my international incident and the "Battle for Freedom" that followed. At that point I knew who my real friends were and who weren't, but those are details I will go into in my post summarising the year.

New Year's Resolutions?

1. Excercise - Dating the Derailer made me move from a 4 pack to 2 pack. Her idea of spending time was going for takeout add to this how time intensive dating her, school and work was led to me falling off my gym regimen. So when Jan comes round it's back to the grind!

2. Get stable financially - I don't have any crushing debts, Thank God! But I want to be living on my own by April or May at least. I have to do my non paying internship first so that is why I am giving myself a bit of a window.

3. Become a teetolater - I rarely go to clubs and I don't drink much at home unless I am celebrating something. So that isnt going to be a hard resolution to adhere to, but I plan on joining Mocha and being alcohol free!

4. Begin Foundations For Long Term Plans - In a few years I want to set up a non profit agency, a foundation and a company. I do have a registered company name back home, but it's of not much use here. So next step is to save up to register an LLC. I don't plan to work 9 - 5 forever.

5. Work On My Swahili Sanifu - Please note I did not say swahili but swahili sanifu. I had began sprucing up my swahili sanifu by reading BBC in swahili but as pressure picked up my diligence suffered. So it's back to nguzo za swahili for me!

6.Cultivate A Close Group Of Kenyan Friends - When I was back home I was somewhat picky about my close friends. This has made it an uphill task here making friends because I am not around Kenyans much and when I am, most of the time when I encounter them it is at their worst.
I know those I have come across or heard of don't represent most Kenyans so I will take my time and see if I can make friends with some Kenyans who have their priorities and lives in check.

There they are my simple New Years' resolutions! Happy 2007 for ya'll and don't party too much!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great resolutions!! I am also making a summary of my 2006... .

Spidey/Tato said...

Happy new year to you to.

Beep me up i give you the 12 steps to teetotalling

I usually have one resolution per year...lsat year wasno procrastinating this year no being pushed around

LOL fro 4pack to 2pack...i like derailer as it is. beep me up i give u 12 steps to no-pack

i kill me

Anonymous said...

good luck in keeping your resolutions. so what happens to derailer? kazi unayo babu.

Anonymous said...

I admire your openness and love the resolutions. Happy New Year and have a great 2007.

My single Couch 'tato-like resolution this year is to live life more positively.

Acolyte said...

@ majonzi
I cant wait to read your summary! Happy 2007!
@ couch tato
Right now I think I am at step 6-7 coz I only had 3 drinks in the last month.
Good luck with your resolution!
@ bomseh
That dose of Derailer chipped but there is a replacement coming soon, so no shidas!
@ stack
That is a resolution that I am sure you will be able to live up to with no problems whatsoever!

Anonymous said...

Great resolutions man. Busy compiling mine and will post them soon. Good luck with them resolutions.

mama shady said...

resolutions!heh. i think i scraped the word from my dicitonary but subliminally, my mind is hooked them!yani i hope you achieve all those things! consider yourself to have a personal chairleader where the foundation/comapany setting,swahili speaking, independence and meeting kenyans is concerned!im subliminally setting goals in those areas as well.
for real its like theres a shortage of like minded kenyans in the joint that im in!ni kuomba tu!
happy new year and be blessed!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Acolyte.

As for your resolutions, i am down with all of them expect the 6th one. Unless it hanging out with kenyans that are in the same field as you, it's just a waste of time and energy. When you start to make good paper, they hate instead of congratulate. And that kind of negativity is something that i do not need.

Ichiena said...

Wa! That's a thought out list. I admire you! I will keep this list. I will check your progress on 31st March, 31st June, 30th September and 31st Dec.

Come to think of it, I can make that a resolution, hey? To haunt resolutionmakers...bwehehehe!

Anonymous said...

Blessings!

egm said...

A worthy list. That teetotaller thing, eh, it letad maneno at the meetup. Waiters were shunning our table like we were a leper colony amidst the well in society! Lakini we enjoyed our time nonetheless. Tuko wengi in the no-alcohol camp, that's for sure.

All the best with these here resolutions and a most happy new year to you.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Aco!

You are more than welcome to join me in booze free zone.

I like your resolutions.

I have one this year, but I wont reveal it lest I jinx it.

CiikuMrsBabes said...

Happy New Year yada yada...

Good luck with the internship and with your resolutions.

Nakeel said...

Happy New Year and all the best on keeping up the resolutions especilly getting the 4 pack.

Acolyte said...

@ aegeus
Happy 2007 for you too, I shall keep my eyes open.
@ mama shady
I intend to do what I can to keep up those resolutions.As for focussed Kenyans, they are in short supply indeed!
@ kelitu
Seems you have seen Kenyans in their true colors but I have to agree with you, I have seen raia sipping some major haterade!
@ ichiena
An occasional check up will be most welcome!
@ kenyananalyst
Be blessed too!
@ egm
Lol seems the waiters were not amused by the Soda crew at all!
@ Mocha
Thanks for the invite!When your resolution works out, let me know!
@ Movie Buff
Thanks for the good wishes and you have a good new year too!

Rista said...

Happy new year aco. Wish you nothing but the best, and at the very least 80% success :-)

Anonymous said...

@ nakeel
Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement!
@ rista
I wish you the same for 2007!

Anonymous said...

Happy new year Aco! Good luck with them resolutions. My new year's resolution is like Nike - Just do It. The "it" would be whatever I put my mind to.

BeautyinBaltimore said...

Thank you for visting my blog.
Good luck on your New Years resolutions.

I like your blog a lot(you are very funny but truthful at the same time). I sure you are still wishing you got a piece of the light skinned girl you could screw your brains out.
Throught your blog I was able to find a number of Kenyan bloggers. Its nice to read another point of view. I like the style of most Kenyan blogs that I have read so far. I looking forward to reading blogs from different African contries.

Anonymous said...

Oh how resolutions come easy in the making. i do not bother anymore, I will try to do what i can. wish you well on yours.. and pass the Nguzo the Kiswahili when you are done. Could use that too.

Msanii_XL said...

Happy new year Aco!!

Rant's of an angry somali man said...

bless bro!.....and have a happy new year acolyte!.....otherwise resolutions i'm the worst at keeping them.......i hope u got the guts to keep up with them..... au sio?

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

I wish you all the best. Happy 2007.

Gish said...

Happy new year. We have one thing in common the non profit agency, foundation and company. Am doing alot of research on what it takes to start one here, am looking at 2009. Like the financial stability bit too about time to seriously start putting money away.
Thanks for the inspiration.