Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Alternative rock other genres and me

Over the years I have had a large variation in the music that I have liked.when rap hit when I was younger and everyone was listening to tapes of NWA, Heavy D, Ya kid K I was there ( shut up!I know I'm kinda old! ) to when Doggy style,Deathrow, Tupac hit.I also remember the slow jams days.But sometime when I was in my first year of college I discovered Alternative rock.This was way before the days when people used to flock to rock night and around the time Capital FM was still white.Anyway my first acquisition was "These days" by Bon Jovi.It was like a best of compilation.I still have it somewhere for the sake of posterity.Let me tell you when I used to listen to that music I would get a all sorts of sneers and disses from the peeps.It was ironic that the same people talking smack were the same ones who were later crawling to me to borrow my cd's when they and the rest of the city got on the rock train.
Anyway I have listened to and still have the music of a wide range of artistes e.g
1.Matchbox 20 - Loved their first album and third was pretty good.Track to download "3 am"
2.Rob Thomas - Love his vocals so had to follow him after he left MB20.Track to download "my my my""this is how a heart breaks"
3.Third Eye Blind - First and second albums were stellar, they lost their best guitarist on the third so I'm not feeling them that much.Tracks to download "Jumper""Motorcycle drive by""Blinded"
4.Dave Matthews Band - Liked their best of when I was in uni but nowadays I'm just not feeling them.
5.Cheryl Crow - Loved her first 2 albums.when she parted ways with her long time producer her music to me just lost its' edge and went soft.Tracks to download, "leaving las vegas""the difficult kind"
6.Alanis Morisette - Loved her first and second album.Few people can make angst sound that good.Tracks to download "thank you""King of pain""Ironic"
7.Sarah Mchlachlan - Have always loved her deep haunting voice.I don't like her new album that much but many of her songs esp "Angel" have a special place in my heart.Other good tracks "Adia""Ice cream""Silence"
8.Counting Crows - One of my all time best bands.Loved their first 2 albums still have them.Problem for them is that they set the bar too high for themselves but I still love their music even though at times they sound too folksy for me.Tracks to download "round here""long december"
9.Sting - I know you cant call his music rock but most Kenyans would so I am goin to put him in the list.I think he has a wonderful voice and who can forget song lyrics like "Don't stand so close to me" or "Fields of Gold"
10.Disturbed - Yes the name says enough.These guys are pretty hard and to me their best work was in the first albums.Who couldn't feel the sheer anger in songs like "Down with the sickness" and "Stupefy"
11.Depeche Mode - These guys have been around forever!50 million sold and still counting.Who can forget classics like "tainted love""enjoy the silence" and the new song "precious"
12.Gorillaz - This virtual band makes my day.They might be all cartoon but their music is anything but that."Clint Eastwood""Feel good inc" and the latest "Dare" make my day.
13.Dido - Also not rock but this gal has a great voice.Who can forget her song "Thank you" and "you make me feel"
14.Daft punk - Yes I am moving from the alternative rock base I had began with but I love the electronica these guys made.some of their best songs were "around the world""harder,faster,stronger"
15.Linkin Park - List wouldnt be one without them.Nu-metal existed before them but they made it go mainstream.Most of their stuff is pretty good but I think "In the end""papercut""numb" are some of my faves.
16.tom Petty - This guy is part of American rock history and his music makes for good listening.Good tracks include "don't come around here""learning to fly"
I still have loads and loads of artistes and genres that I haven't mentioned both new and old.But this post could go on forever if I did.I recently took to listening to chillout music and I also listen to movie scores one of my favourites being Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.I think that is why I have to get hold of an MP3 player soon so I can get my music together.At one point in Kenya I had like 200 cds, let's say my best pal had a ball coz I could only make half into mp3s and carry only my favourite originals.Anyway try to get hold of the suggested tracks if you can't holla at me and Ill see what I can do....

3 comments:

Spidey/Tato said...

oh yeah am back at the top like most of these musicians...funny am workin on a n rnb kinda post as well.

how bout three doors down and Chad Kroeger, Evanescence, coldplay?
Alanis' first Album so rocked...i dedicate "UNINVITED" to msanii

Acolyte said...

@ Nick
Yes those are on my list too but I just put down what was on the top of my head.As I said this is a post that can go on endlessly.

Anonymous said...

Jamiroquai my guy! Maroon 5. And that classic from Nirvanah - Smells Like Teen Sprit. That one I use to kasirisha the neighbours at 4 in the morning