Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Acolyte 3 - Roaches 0!

About the survey that I mentioned in yesterday's post it is coming soon just that my HTML when it comes to forms has really rusted so I have to refresh myself in the library tonight.I have this close to preternatural awareness in my room.Meaning?Well I can usual sense when something is amiss in my room eg lost stuff.But in this case I was sitting down watching telly when I felt that there was another presence in the room!My eyes seemed to know where to go.On the wall there was one of these damn large southern roaches!It must have felt my piercing stare because it scurried onto the ground.I looked round and saw only a bottle of skin moisturiser which I threw at it, it was only stunned and ran into my closet.I decided not to look for it as my closet was a mess and just picked up my large can of insecticide and sprayed some in there.I then sat down to watch Supernatural which was ironically about these houses that were built on cursed land and as a result of disturbing the land people were being killed by roaches,bees,termites and other creepy crawlies.
As the show was about to end my skin began to tingle.Roach was out of the closet!He was moving fast!Instead of jumping on my bed and screaming like Nick, I threw the can of insecticide at him since he was moving to fast to spray!BAM!Direct hit!But like a wounded bull he tried to shrug off the damage and keep on walking.I picked the can and gave him a generous blast of the poison within till it covered him like snow.But he kept on moving!I wound my arm like a baseball pitcher and threw the can at him!He stopped moving, twitched once;raised one of his legs in defiance and died.Damn insects better stay outta my house!Acolyte 3 Roaches 0!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

namba!!!!!..milo kula hiyo and you to nick

Anonymous said...

"Instead of jumping on my bed and screaming like Nick" .....he he he

Roach musta been trauma inducing

Anonymous said...

The roaches here need to be seen to be believed.They are big bastards!

Milonare said...

bahati yako msanii...

LOLOLOL ati like Nick

And covering mende with theluji LOLOLOL

LMAO at last kicks of a dying roach!!!

You are a very funny man Aco LOLOLOL

Anonymous said...

@ milo
coming from you those are great words!seems msanii is on point today!

Anonymous said...

AAAHHH - I cannot stand roaches. Ever since I watched "Mimic" I am wary of those creepies like a mutha! living in London, I think its too cold for them roaches, but for years I hadnt seen one until I came to the States and there they were, and I seriously freaked. Those f*ckers make my skin crawl. Good on yu for annilating it, I would not have rested until HE (found this funny coz I thought I was the only one that genderized insects and things)was dead and buried.

Someone once told me that roaches can live for 9 days without their heads, and I didnt want to say that here without finding out a few facts so went hunting (yes, for roaches) and got this stuff from this site:

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/
kunkel/cockroach_faq.html#Q13

Can roaches live for a while without their heads?
Answer:
(1) Cockroaches breath through spiracles which are in each body segment and the blood does not carry oxygen to the tissues. The spiracles deliver air to each cell of the body through a set of tubes called tracheae. The brain does not control the breathing through the spiracles.
(2) The cockroach does not have blood pressure the way a mammal does and so cutting off the head does not lead to uncontrolled bleeding.
(3) The cockroach is a poikilotherm or cold blooded animal. They need much less food and a one day meal would be enough to last them a whole month as long as they were not extremely active. Without a head the cockroach would just sit around without doing anything much.

All this along with a cool temperature could allow the cockroach to last about a month without need for their head, as long as they did not get infected with a mold, bacterium or virus, which could kill them prematurely.

Anonymous said...

LOL! OMGoodness Aco, you actually sat down and wrote about a roach!! It was funny tho.

Yani mpaka Guess had to go do a research for us on roaches. You know what, I learnt something new today. Actually I've realised that I've learnt a lot since I started somaing blogs. Who needs books when we've got addicted bloggers?..:-)

The two of you just made my day :)

Anonymous said...

@ tee j
thanks for the compliment!Well I was running kinda dry plus I just hate roaches and any other pests!I think i should fumigate my room by myself one of these fine days!Oh and you can learn alot from the right blogs!
@ guess
how I envy you!No roaches, here even though you may not be in your house you see the bastards late at night on the sidewalks where there is grass close by on campus.Thanks for the research though, i see I am not the only anti roach person here!

Spidey/Tato said...

haiya ebu tell msanii and milo that that was not a diss... i scream like there's no kesho on seein a roach

i hear this chris rock joke about how roaches in the projects are so tough...u step on one the following day you see with 3stitches. LMAO