Monday, November 07, 2005

Sports roundup with a gang of robbers

It was good to see Chelsea go down this weekend to Man U.I am not a player hater but Chelsea's billions have spoiled football.They have made the epl less competitive.Mourinho hasn't really built a team but has more or less just bought one.It used to be fun in earlier EPL seasons to watch the battle for first place shift from team to team only to culminate in a battle for the wire during the last 3 games of the season but alas that is no longer the case.Last season more people watched the Carling Cup Final and FA Cup.
Anyway I am no Man U fan but it was good to see that Roy Keane's criticism about the lack of committment at Old Trafford spur the boys to a win over Chelski.Yes Chelsea are still sitting pretty at the top of the league but at least some teams have decided not to bend over and take it but to fight them all the way!
Also it was good to see Paul Tergat win the New York marathon even though it was not that easy.It is fitting seeing his poor finish in his last races and injury problems.When I showed my boss the headline the inevitable question came "can you run?"I didnt have the time to explain the differences about living in the smog caked city of nai and life in the crisp clean air of the highlands plus the strong running culture over there so I just told her that I haven't bothered trying and that I do find it boring ( I would rather skip then run ).
Oh and it's official,League position not withstanding that Liverpool are the top team in world football.The world club rankings have been released by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics.Click here to see.

And It's a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!


The agony of defeat!!!!!!!!!!


"Hmmmmmmmm, so this is how it feels to lose."


OOOOOOOOOOOOH!An old pic from the archives when Micheal Owen missed a sitter.It is rare for so much emotion to be gathereed in a soccer pic.It won some prizes


Djibril Cisse thanks God after scoring the winning penalty in the Champion's League Win of last year


Last but not least Paul Tergat wins the men's division while Hendrick Ramaala tumbles in for second during the New York City Marathon in New York Sunday, Nov. 6, 2005.

13 comments:

Milonare said...

Those Liverpool stats must have been gather by a Liverpoolian statistician from a bunch of Liverpool supportes and one or two Wigan supporters!!! Ati top team in world football???? LMAO dont even get me started...

I enjoyed Chelsea's loss as well. Even tho am a ManU hater... Man I loved to see them lose those rouble-toting mjamaas!!!

Anonymous said...

@ milo
wacha kuongea choo!Numbers don't lie!As the saying goes "Form is temporary, class is permanent" All Chelsea fans read and repeat esp farmgal!

Adrian said...

count me among those who don't like chelski and who was also happy to see them lose in the champions league and then to ManU

kudos to tergat!

in my opinion, those club rankings don't hold much value coz some of the stats taken into consideration range so far back...

Anonymous said...

@ adrian
Ai bwana!Si u let me enjoy my moment in the sun before you pour cold water on me!Yeah its good that Tergat won the race.As for Chelski they may go ahead to win the league but at least they can be beat!

Anonymous said...

Totally unrelated but, would you happen to know if kenyans will be playing rugby (sevens) in Cali next yr? I've never gone to watch them play and I don't want to miss if they'll be playing in Feb.

Anonymous said...

@ Tee J
not too sure bout that but I can do some research and post on it later on.Seems you plan on getting around!!!

k.i.d.a.d.a said...

I concur with Milo....no such thing as top team in world football? Not hating but being real...

What criteria were they using....past performances and by that I mean in the early 90's...hmm....grrrrrr!!!

Chelsea is a team I cannot stand...and yes I'm Arsenal Damu...LOL...

Ati "can you run"...LOL....but seriously, can you?? I used to run in primary/high school and man, Paul Tergat kando...once I heard the gun, peeps saw me put Speedy Gonzales to shame (bila sombrero that is)...or Road Runner...hehehe...

I digress :)

Did I miss something or how many posts did you put up in 2 days??

Anonymous said...

@ k.i.d.a.d.a and co.
why not pass by the link and see how they tabulate the stats then feel free to comment as you see fit.:D
Well as for running I think I have potential for long distance but as I said it bores me, give me contact sport anyday.
Well I wrote one post that was eaten twice by blogger last week, that is y i was so pissed!Now that damn word verification has decided to give me essay verification!GRRRR!

Anonymous said...

That pic!!! The one after Owen missed.... WOW!!! Yaani there are no words.

As for the Liverpool storo, I won't comment, but wait until Mental sees that one.

Class is permament - too true!

Msanii_XL said...

aco have you noticed its the gooner fans complaining about the rankings?

booo@chelsea btw

Acolyte said...

@ msanii
A valid point, I agree.Oh and before ya'll complain pliz pitia the link!

Farmgal said...

I can believe I missed all this. where was I oh I remember I was being harassed by some Nigerian cons!
why y'all hating chelsea throws away one game and you are all celebrating. hebu check the premiership table and tell me who tops it.... ehhh?
Every big team has bought stars sio chelsea pekeee wachaneni na blues!

Gooo Tegart, this guy should be knighted. By the way I saw his interview on CNN. He said he'll be retiring soon @aco there is your chance to represent!

Anonymous said...

@ farmgal
actually it is 2 games.Yes Chelsea are still ontop but they are one of the reasons why viewership of EPL is declining.It is less exciting when you know who is going to win.It is like watching wrestling.Every team buys stars yes but Chelsea buys all the stars!Anyway its just ball so no big deal at the end of the day.