Monday, November 14, 2005

My Mum

My mum jetted into the country last week to visit us.Most people you will talk to will tell you about how the mum is a wonderful person.I will tell you why I think my mum is a wonderful person.When I was 9 years old my dad passed away.My dad like in many african cases brought home the bulk of the bread.So here my mum was alone with 4 kids to bring up and she was a government employee at the time.To add salt to the wound my mum was the first born in her family and her parents had also passed away.So she also had to take care of her youngest brothers and sisters, the youngest who was just a year older then me.What about the relatives on my dad's side?Well you know how most Africans are, during the funeral they all stand up and say how you can depend on them but after that you are on your own.My dad's sisters aka my aunt's never approved of my dad marrying my mum.But my mum did have help from some family friends like my dad's best friend who helped us to the extent of helping wind up cases from my dad's law firm after which he would only recoup the cost and give my mum the rest of the cash.Another paid for my big sister's to finish high school.Note that none of these people were of the same tribe as us,I guess that is why half of the time you'll hear me talking smack about tribe coz the fact that you speak the same language doesn't mean that those people have your best interests at heart.
Anyway with it being hard to survive as a widow.My mum put us through school, put up with our teenage madness and kept a roof over our heads.It also helped me grow up faster coz as the oldest boy in the house I had to learn to think on my feet as I was now my mum's right hand man.As for my aunt's who were rooting for us to fail, one of them even refused to give me a statement for the embassy when I was coming and the other refused to help me hook up a jobo at the U.N even though she is a senior there.Well what goes round comes round coz as for my aunt who refused with the statement, her daughter came here to states to do an MBA,spent her cash like it was goin out of fashion, didnt graduate so she just brought her back to nai to "work" for her; all her millions gone to waste.As for my other aunt she has been unable to get married and her daughter has had 2 abortions and is barely making it through college.What goes around comes around!When I go to my sister's place in ATL it will be the first time we will all be together as a family in 8 years.
So even though we do have our domes ( quarrels ) we are still tight.Let's all be grateful for the good mothers and fathers ( who are often overlooked ) that God has given us!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your mum is great.. ut this isn't even abou your mum.. isit really....your aunts??

Acolyte said...

@ Anon
It's about my mum first, but i cant resist talking smack bout those who deserve it.I guess I am weak like that!Yes my mum's great :D

Farmgal said...

I guess I can say I feel you, out of experience mind! Mums are great aren't they?
Have a good time when you visit your sis.

Anonymous said...

@ farmgal
good to know that someone out there feels me on this!I'll try to have a ball!:D

Milonare said...

Ah Aco

I feel you on this. My mum has practically brought my three brothers and me up, school fees, food, clothing the works!!!

Mum's a strong, great, kila kitu I tell you!!!!

Hope you guys have a ball at the reunion and treat your mum like the queen she is!!!

Anonymous said...

Aco - feel you big on this. Similar to your case, my dad is half-maasai, half kyuk, and when my grandma left her maasai husband and hooked up with a kyuk one, my dad was an outcast. And even more so when my step-grand-dad(if there is such a thing) died in the 70's. My dad did bring up his family and even looked after his mother (who by the way hated him, and us) and his deadbeat brothers and wayward sisters...he still does.

My mother has kept that family together and helped my dad not throw away his own family - and to this day, although grandma still feels smug about herself, she has no one else to rely on but my family.

Mums are a special gift from God, and I wouldnt swap mine for anything. have a great time and enjoy the moments coz like you, I havent spent time with my whole family together in 10yrs (top that)

Adrian said...

mums are the best!!

i feel you on this; my mom brought my bro and myself as a single mother up (got married later...) and i admire for that (pressures at home ati a single mom and what not). in fact, those years where we were just the three of us were the bomb!

glad things worked out for you.

Anonymous said...

@ Milo
Bringing up Milo, milo2, milo3 and milo4 must have needed a woman of great strength and fortitude!Hope u never forget her over the hols!Yes were all goin to be good to her!
@ Anon
It seems you have a really special pair of parents there coz it takes a whole lot to care for ppl who feel nuthin for you.I am not that noble.I guess one day you will get to spend time as a family.
@ Adrian
Thanks!Yes there were times when we were young when things seemed really narrow but I am grateful that all worked out in the end.I am sure that the 3 of you in your family have a ball when you are together!

Anonymous said...

@ mutumia
well only one week then it's thanksgiving!I cant wait for the break.Oh i will never wash that peck off my cheek!:D
@ Poi
Yes mums are special and even though we dont say it so are dads!

Anonymous said...

Mums are the bestest!!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's to mothers~

Nakeel said...

oh Aco mum are the best.. Enjoy ur get together now...

Spidey/Tato said...

they are a have a generator that could drive a hurricane...they are the worlds greatest.

LOL at anon: there was an undertone that depicted an up yours..we have made it on our own..but guess what aco u have and screw them all. i share a simialr situation where i got dissed left right and centre and now when am all grown up they want to make a comeback...

Anonymous said...

@ Nick
I wouldnt lie.I may forget but I never forgive.That's just me.But that's how ppl are they think that the past can be forgotten.that aint happening!