Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Rings,weddings and the rest

I was reading an article in the Nation about weddings the other day and it got me to thinking about them.What is the significance of a big weddings and their expense?Yes I know it is a big day and has to be shared with all your family.That to me was understandable way back when in the days when people lived in villages and close knit communities where everyone knew each other.But nowadays in these big weddings the bride and groom hardly know who is who, some of the people there are just distant relatives or friends of mum and dad.You end up incurring large bills for catering and there will always be some cheap punks who will bring you a cheap set of plates or a tacky ajanta wall clock.Then there is the big white wedding dress, as far as I know people wore white to signify purity.How when in many cases the groom has been tapping that ass for a long time and in some cases they even have kids!!Then there are wedding and engagement rings.I for one don't see how the value of the ring is used to measure the extent of the jamaas love and devotion.I once suggested to a chic wouldnt it be better that the guy bought a ring that is worth a couple of hundred bucks and used the rest on important things like down payment on the house and other important things.The chic was like no way!If the guy can put cash down on a car then he should do the same for the ring!I was like wtf!!No wonder marriage rate is going down, if a woman is goin to gauge me according to the ring that I buy BOUNCE!!Then to make things worse she says that she would make sure that she gets the ring on her birthday or valentines so if they break up he can't get it back!Don't get me wrong, it is good to have expressions of your love but the idea of me going into debt for a wedding or engagement ring makes me want to throw up!BLECH!
Well I guess at heart I am a simple guy because I believe that you shouldnt save for a wedding but for marriage.Have any of you out there been for what people used to call pre weddings?Those parties that were just attempts to extort money from people. and those games that the MC would play "If you are wearing a white shirt give 500/="while going round naming certain things that the crowd have and what it would cost them.I once recall being derailed into going for one of those with my boys, when we were "guilty" of certain qualities and were suppossed to go up on stage to give our donations no one moved.The MC looked at us and we looked back, most fun staring competition I have ever had!Oh almost forgot those damn expensive flowers that people had to buy at the door.If I was a frequent attendee of those I would have started coming with my own ready made from digs.I mean if you cant afford a wedding and we have to pay what about your marriage?
Even though my attendance of weddings is poor and I do limit it to receptions.Let me not even start about how at one wedding the pastor asked all the single folk to stand up and said that God must have brought them there for a reason.That reminds me about this unnerving preoccupation churches in Kenya have with marriage.To the extent of having a singles ministry.You staunch churchgoers out there please let me know what ministry in the Bible that a singles ministry is based on cz most other ministries in churches are based upon those that existed in Jesus' time, anyway if you can't win new followers out there you might as well have your people get married and create them.
Moving on, I think that small is best when it comes to weddings.Small and tasteful is best prefferably a garden wedding.But at least that is not an issue that I have to worry about for a long time to come!

7 comments:

Msanii_XL said...

*being waved in *

vroom vroom namba...

milo kula dust

Msanii_XL said...

Let me be the frist to admit a swanky ring I will buy, but an expensive wedding i will not...small almost DC(district commissioner) like is the way i'm looking to go

btw aco have also figured prior to this there is shit like dowry? *smh*at this i will pay but chic got to now my disgust and disdain for dowry especially if pressured into it.

speaking of which when was the lst time i went to a wedding? whoa! 3 and counting not months neither..who on KBW is getting married soon i crash

Anonymous said...

@ milo
uko wapi?????
@ mutumia
sadly enuff what you say is true the wedding can go on without the jamaa or even with a stand in!
@ msanii
I hope that you can maintain ur stance as the chic will most def want a wedding where she can show off the ring!So just hope that the mama doesnt ask for you to add dowry into the equation!

Prousette said...

First off some chics been watching too many movies/reading too much pop. 5 out of ten XXXL weddings I attended while a little younger are on the rocks goes to say what priorities the bride and groom have.
The day is for the womenfolk acolyte & msanii and unless you find a very sensible level headed girl you are unlikely to have your way over anything guestlist, rings, her dress so ease up on that one and do not make an issue over it if you want to live to ripe old age. You might want to suggest to her that you draw your line at a certain amount and no more so you work around that figure.

I once sat in a committee when was a little naive and swore never again. If you want to get married do it then invite me to your house for lunch unless you are a very close friend; the haggling and hassling was not good for my fiscal and mental health.

Guessaurus said...

So on point Aco (and the rest of the guys)
Personally I cant stand weddings - there is just too much pomp and ceremony for my liking. And why is it that girls wear engagement rings but dudes dont? If I can get away with it my idea of a wedding will be me and jamaa vow to each other and God to be together for as long as we both want to - and if the proverbial hits and we cant stand each other any more then we can both split - no one else is needed to witness it, none of that malarkey that uses all the money you have saved for the last five years - and then we can go for a honeymoon somewhere swanky for a looooooonnnnnngggg time. If I get married it will be for me and him not for the whole wide world... (Do you think I can get away with that? Probably not, but a girl can dream eh? :(

Anonymous said...

That's why I'm all for eloping. Lakini ol' lady might get ulcers if was to do that.

Milonare said...

Woi

Guys be stepping into my arena and first place slot bila shame...

Woi

Weddings are that one special day where you move from one level to anutha much higher one... A day for celebration...

In my opinion, you can spoil the bride at least for the day... But thats just me...