Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Smallville and stuff


Alexander Luthor!!!!!

One of my all time favourite shows is Smallviille.I have been watching it since season 1 when I was back home and I am still watching season 5 here.I have always been a Superman fan but I didnt like Lois and Clark which came before it.I like that Smallville concentrates more on the people as characters and less as props for the superman mythos.One of my favorite characters is..........Lex Luthor!!!!I knew ya'll thought I would say Clark Kent.At the show's beginning, Alexander Luthor is or was one of Clark's best friends who later on goes on to become his nemesis on the future.
Well other then the money and the class that he displays, what I like most about Lex is his slow development from a spoilt young man who has been expelled from college in the big city of Metropolis and instead of being given a place in his fathers multinational he is exiled to the rural town of smallville.When he loses control of his car and it runs over Clark sending them both over the adjascent railing into the lake it changes his life.Clark uses his super human strength to pull Lex from the car to safety.Following the accident (and a resultant near-death experience), Lex forges a friendship with Clark, believing they are meant to be friends. They grow very close, but cursed by an overwhelming curiosity, things start to take a turn as Lex digs deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Clark and his family to the extent of having a room dedicated to studying Clark and all the phenomena that he is involved in due to his alien heritage. Additionally, he grows to distrust Clark as Clark repeatedly lies to cover his true identity. Their personal interests are at odds, and began to erode at their friendship. Their bond is critically damaged in Season Three, when Clark discovers Lex has an entire room devoted to peculiarities relating to Clark.Clark was raised by his family to do what is good and right no matter the cost, Lex on the other hand has a dead mother and a father who had little time for him as a child and showed him liitle affection instead raising him to have qualities that made the Luthors of the past great such as duplicity,scepticism,opportunism and strategy.His extreme cruelty and inhumane actions cause Lex to grow paranoid of his surroundings, especially of anything that could be related to his father. Their relationship comes to a head in Season Three when Lex discovers his father is a murderer, and has him imprisoned. In the fourth season, Lex becomes consumed with trying to find the three stones that, when brought together, are reputed to release the knowledge of the universe. The search for these stones further destroys his relationship with Clark and his father, and pushes him further to the dark side.The series that was of note to me was in season 3 when the coming of Clark had been foretold by some native american myth and an old native american archeologist had identified Clark as the hero foretold after seeing his powers.This tale is potrayed on the wall of a cave on land that lex owns so he too is aware of it, the tele goes that a great hero shall come from the skies and that he will make friends with a man.This man will grow to be great and a time will come when they shall part ways and become great enemies.Lex tells the story to Clark and says that maybe it is the man who is actually the hero and not the hero from the skies ( I am a bit sketchy on the details )It also doesnt help the Lex also has some horrific things happen to him in the show like having a wife attempt to kill him on their honeymoon,being marooned on an island,being held prisoner by the evil in him made flesh,being poisoned by his own dad etc.Yes Lex may have the seed of evil in him but dont we all?Circumstances also play a part in making him who he becomes.
Anyway I think I am being verbose, what does this have to do with me.When I watch movies I dont always side with the good guy, there are times when I have been sad to see the villain die.Of course these are the villains who show themselves to be human and have weaknesses and angst and not the usual one dimensional villains who you want to see die at the end of a good fight scene.

Many times in my life I have thought that goodness is over-rated.Most of the time people get shitted on for doing the right thing, I have seen it happen over and over and over.One of my favourite sayings is "No good deed goes unpunished."
I have this knack of spotting weaknesses in systems and things.Several times in my life I have used this to my advantage ie figuring out how to get into uni classes even if they were full when I was doing my undergrad, I would tell you more but I don't want to see you sitting across me in a court of law.I can also think 3-4 steps ahead of most people when I set my mind to it.My mum once told me that if I wasn't raised well I would have been a crimingal mastermind.But unfortunately I do have a seed of goodness within me that I have been unable to eradicate so I still do have a conscience and strive to do the right thing most of the time.Sometimes I think that it would be so liberating to do what I want within the limits of the law.Oh I don't believe in doing wrong for the sake of doing it I am not anarchist but only when there is some benefit to be gained and when it comes a cost that you can handle.If light is absent does that mean that it is dark?Do you think being good or evil is a choice or are some things in us pre-destined?( 750 -1500 words due in by Jan 1st,2006)Anyway I think I have rambled enough good thing I had a stock of words from yesterday.......

7 comments:

Spidey/Tato said...

OMG what is that is that a plane is that a bullet...no its NICK!

Spidey/Tato said...

mmmm smallville is a show that started of as slo initially the storylines were gettin a tad monotonous everything being blamed on the meteor rocks...but boy it picked up in season 2 and there was no turning back

lil trivia:
-do u know Tom Welling is around our age...
-there was speculation ati they might end in season 5


ok now lets get to the low down

1.Shame on u for not liking...am sorry loving Lois and CLark

2.Kijana there is nothing like being verbose when you are discussin a beloved tv show

3.Don't you think season 4 was the best but there is that one episode in season 3 that focused on what really happened to Lex's lil sibling...thats my all time fav episode

4.It a joy watchin the transition of Lex slowly by slowly...in season 5 that rift is slowly happenin. u watch the episode where lex hired some guys so that he could observe clarks powers in season 5...and am not trusting lionel either

5.i had done a post sometime back i'll get u the link where i believed we were born evil...and i had proof kwanza....let me post i'll hook u up with the link just right now

Spidey/Tato said...

-oh another thing about superman that rocks..he was born with natural powers unlike hao wengine who acquire them later

-oh cant wait for the movie next year. Superman Returns 2006.


-ok like DarkChild(Rodney jerkins) who keeps self promoting in his own songs..here's the link
http://nicholasgichu.blogspot.com/2005/02/we-were-born-evil_11.html

Acolyte said...

@ Nick
I see that you are making up for missing the earlier action!Yes at some point having a new villain ala season 1 was getting whack!I would rather they go out on a high in season 5 then stay around and become boring.I did watch the lex memory one but my all time fave is the one where they discussed the myth of segeth ( story on the cave wall ) Lionel is sawa too even tho it seems that he is now a tool of Jor el.I do love the lessons that he teaches his Lex.Thanks for the spoiler PUNKASS!!
Just read your post.It's pretty good!I guess Ill see when to give in to the dark side......

Spidey/Tato said...

guess i shouldnt tell u about claark's proffesor????

Anonymous said...

"unfortunately I do have a seed of goodness within me that I have been unable to eradicate" LMAO I CANNOT believe you said that!!!!

Anonymous said...

@ Nick
Oh I did watch the one about prof Fine being evil so Im cool there....
@ Ms K
You just dont know how tiresome that little voice gets when I am planning to do something really vile and have to stop because of it!!